Out-of-State Applicants

The revised school code, effective July 1, 1996, introduced the Temporary Teaching Employment Authorization. This will be issued by the Michigan Department of Education to out-of-state applicants for the purpose of employment before the required teacher tests are passed. Requirements are that applicants:
  • Have never held a Michigan teaching certificate.
  • Hold a valid out-of-state certificate
  • Meet all requirements for the Michigan teaching certificate except passage of the appropriate Michigan teacher tests.
This authorization is valid for one year from date of issuance and is non-renewable. The Provisional certificate will automatically be issued upon receiving passing scores on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification.
For additional information go to www.michigan.gov/mde, Educator Prof. Prep. Teacher Certificate or License/Certificate application forms.