MEA History

History of MEA

The Michigan Education Association is headquartered in East Lansing. MEA started in 1852 as the Michigan State Teachers Association. It was not until 1926 that it officially became the Michigan Education Association. Today we are the largest single public employee union in the state and the third largest education association in the United States. We are also affiliated with the National Education Association.