Nominations due for Human Rights and Excellence Awards
It's time to recognize outstanding achievement through the 2012 Human Rights and Excellence Awards. The awards honor outstanding programs, performance and service MEA members provide in meeting student needs.
The Excellence Awards recognize excellence in bilingual education, gender equity, multicultural education, education and support of persons with disabilities and migrant education.
The Human Rights Awards include the:
- Herman Coleman Human Rights Award for a person who has improved the quality of human relationships, especially within the association.
- Connie Jackson Human Rights Award for a leader who has championed the cause of ethnic minorities.
- David McMahon Human Rights Award for an individual or group outside the MEA who has exhibited more and ethical leadership in the field of civil rights.
- Elizabeth Siddal Human Rights Award for an MEA member who has enhanced international and intercultural awareness.
- Maurine Wyatt Feminist Award for an educator who is committed to feminism.
Nominations, with appropriate documentation and information, must be submitted to the Professional Development/Human Rights Department by Feb. 1. Awards will be presented on April 27. Go to www.mea.org/human-rights-and-excellence-awards for more information.